Films & TV Shows
Here at Global ETA*, we love a good documentary. If we can't get outside or to the far reaches of the world, they can be the next best thing. Don't see your favorite on this list? Let me know so I can add it (and watch it)!
- Blackfish tells the story of Tilikum, a performing killer whale that killed several people while in captivity. #EmptyTheTanks #NotYourEntertainment
- Academy Award® Winner for Best Documentary of 2009, The Cove follows an elite team of activists, filmmakers and freedivers as they embark on a covert mission to penetrate a remote and hidden cove in Taiji, Japan, shining a light on a dark and deadly secret.
- Dark Side of the Lens by Astray (available on Vimeo)
- Desert Runners is a documentary film that follows the few brave souls who dare attempt to run the world's toughest ultra-marathon series. I am oddly fascinated by endurance athletes and sports (its odd in large part because I could never actually DO them...). This film fed that fascination; it's inspiring and well-done.
- The Important Places by Gnarly Bay (available on Vimeo)
- In 2004 Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman embarked on an epic Long Way Round challenge, to bike 20,000-miles, cross 12 countries and 19 time zones in just 115 days. Following the world success of Long Way Round, Ewan and Charley once again combined their love for motorbikes with the irresistible lure of far-flung roads on the Long Way Down. These are my favorites; Charley and Ewan are so funny and real. It's great to tag along with them
- In Maidentrip, 14-year-old Laura Dekker sets out—camera in hand—on a two-year voyage in pursuit of her dream to be the youngest person ever to sail around the world alone.
- Mile...Mile and a Half - In an epic snow year, five friends leave their daily lives behind to hike California’s historic John Muir Trail, a 211-mile stretch from Yosemite to Mt. Whitney (the highest peak in the contiguous U.S.). Their goal — complete the journey in 25 days while capturing the amazing sights & sounds they encounter along the way.
- "National Parks Adventure captures the stunning beauty of our wild places and reminds us these landscapes are an essential part of the human spirit." - Robert Redford, narrator
- In Racing Extinction, a team of artists and activists exposes the hidden world of extinction with never-before-seen images that will change the way we see the planet.
- River Surfing in Montana - Exactly what it sounds like: a group of guys surfing "The Wave" in the middle of Missoula, Montana. Great photography - from Amberjack Fishing Journal
- Who doesn't love Rock the Park?? Jack and Colton are on a mission to explore every national park in the US and are taking us with them. This series, currently streaming on Netflix, is funny, educational, and refreshing. The guys aren't always experts and it's fun to learn along with them!